I am not sure how many people know this but if I haven't mentioned it before I work at Tuacahn Center for the Arts on the lighting crew. This is their facebook page. About 95% of the time it is the best job ever but there is 5% that is just awful. That 5% is what we at Tuacahn call "The Build" it starts about 3 weeks before the summer shows open and usually goes until 2 days after opening night. "The Build" consists of very long days approximately 6 days a week, depending on how many people on the crew can rotate shifts. We usually start work around 3 pm stay in the theatre until sunrise the next morning. During the day we run and dress cable we hang each light and put gel in it. We mount and cable all of the practicals. A practical is light that turns on, on sets and props during the show. We bury cable in the desert so it wont get destroyed by the summer sun or by cars or tractors. And a whole lot more. This is all in St. George summer. Which at its mildest is around 90 degrees but usually the temp gets around 100 degrees in the afternoon and hangs around 90 at night. Night time is very different. Because Tuacahn is an outdoor theatre we can only see the lights at night. We focus lights by wearing harnesses and climbing big towers and trusses. We run to and fro from the FOH (Front of House) to the stage. Which is about 100 + stairs. We play stage dummies so the designer can know how the lights will look on a person. Then when the sun rises we go attempt to get some sleep in the brightest part of the day.The worst part about the long days and the hard labor isn't the long days and that hard labor. It is the fact the we are under contract. No matter how many hours you put in you get the same pay BUT on the plus side once the build ends you get the same pay and all you do is check the lights before the show, and watch a full scale professional production, which I won't lie, is awesome. Overall 3 bad weeks out of 5 months isn't too shabby. I also work with very very cool people whom of which I have come to think of as family. I can truly say they are my favorite people in the world.
I have a pretty cool job all in all.
This year we are putting Disney's The Little Mermaid and Grease on. Which is crazy fun. Little Mermaid is the first and only regional performance in America. It took me a while to be proud of this one because with all of the technical elements in the show it took them until the 2nd preview night to pull the whole thing together. Right now I would say the show is Disney worthy. It is honestly so cool. Grease is adorable. They "cleaned it up" which is a shame but Tuacahn prides it's self on being a "Family Theatre" I love it anyway. Plus the guy who played Tarzan last year is Kenickie and he regularly is wearing muscle shirts and is wonderful eye candy. He is Prince Eric too but he always has a shirt on in Little Mermaid. Pointless.
I really think that everyone should come see the shows cause they are awesome. You can also visit a Sam. Who is awesome as well.
Welp, I am officially blogged out. I have another blog planned soon. I am making cake bites! I recently got some at The Sweet Tooth Fairy and they were delicious but all I thought while I was eating them was, "I could make this!" So I did. I will post some pretty pictures soon.
LOVES! Sambamby



Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cake bikes.
ReplyDeleteAnd whoa, clicked on his link and that's a whole lot of man muscle. Wowza.